Baby led weaning of self feeding method
This means quite simply just letting your baby feed themselves. You just hand them the food in a suitably-sized piece and if they like it they eat it and if they don’t they won’t. Toast, cucumber, carrot sticks, broccoli, meat – whatever they are able to hold and sensibly chew (or gum!) That’s the essence of it. Lots of mums naturally fall into this with a second child as they are already cooking for the rest of the family.
- No baby purees to make
- You can eat together as they feed themselves
- Meal times are social occasions from the very beginning
- Your baby gets to explore a range of flavors and textures sooner
- No rejection of ‘lumpy’ food
- Lots and lots of mess. Usually involving a military operation to clean up afterwards!
- Uncertainty about how much they have actually eaten
- Can feel like you are throwing a lot of food away
- Can sometimes be difficult to find something suitable when eating out, especially things with low salt
- Opinions offered from people who have never tried it!
- Can be a bit scary hearing them gag and you do have to be extra vigilant about choking