But don’t watch the calendar, your baby will give you lots of clues that they are ready to start experimenting:
- Are they able to sit up well with minimal support and hold their head well?
- Have they lost the tongue-thrust reflex so no longer automatically push solids out of their mouth with the tongue?
- Are they ready and willing to chew?
- Are they developing a “pincer” grasp, picking up things between thumb and forefinger?
- Are they watching everything that goes into your mouth and trying to get their hands on it too?
Yes? Then your baby is probably ready to add new tastes and textures to their diet. And you are in for lots of messy fun helping them discover them! Baby-wipes anyone?