FOOD HYGIENE IS EXTRA IMPORTANT
- Always wash your hands before preparing food and check your baby’s hands are clean before eating, especially after all that crawling around….
- Clean surfaces and tableware before you use them. If you are preparing raw meat, keep a separate chopping board for this.
- Tempting as it is, when you see it going to waste, don’t re-use food that your baby has left for another meal as it may upset their tummy
- Always wash and peel fruit and vegetables.
- Keep cooked and raw meats covered and away from each other and other foods in the fridge.
- Cooked food should only be re-heated once, and then thrown away if not eaten.
- Make sure food has cooled right down before putting it in the freezer, and make sure it’s fully thawed when defrosting.
- When re-heating food make sure it is piping hot all the way through……and then allow it to cool down before feeding it to your baby (always feels odd frantically blowing on food you have just made piping hot!).
Where do I start with introducing food to my baby?
What do I buy before introducing food to my baby?