It’s so important to try to look after yourself after the loss of a baby. What you choose to do during this difficult time is a very personal choice, there is no right or wrong approach.
Here are some tips from various charities and organisations that may help to make this complicated time a little easier to manage…
- You may not feel like eating or drinking much, but you need to try to keep physically strong to cope with the emotional trauma that losing a little one brings.
- Many parents may feel that it’s too difficult to leave the house, but if you feel able to do so, people often report that going out for a walk with a friend or family member in the fresh air really helped.
- Try not to keep your feelings bottled up. Talking things through with someone who understands might help you to feel less isolated and understand that whatever you’re feeling is entirely appropriate.
- Feel comfortable to cry when you need to, but also remember to laugh when you can.
- If any tasks feel too overwhelming or difficult to tackle, ask others for help until you get back on your feet.
- Don’t hesitate to get in touch with your GP if you feel like you need extra support with the physical or mental changes that come with grieving. They'll be able to refer you to a bereavement counsellor, to guide you through the complex and difficult emotions you're experiencing.
There are so many amazing charitable organisations that you can reach out to. Here are just a few…
- Sometimes parents, family members and friends who have gone through pregnancy loss, or whose baby has died find it beneficial to write about their experience as a cathartic way of honestly expressing how they feel. You can share your story on the Baby Loss Awareness website.
- Stillborn and Infant Loss Support is dedicated to helping those who have lost their child by letting them know that they are not alone.
- Star Legacy Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to reducing pregnancy loss and neonatal death and improving care for families who experience such tragedies
- First Candle is committed to the elimination of SIDS and other sleep-related infant deaths through education, while providing support for grieving families who have suffered a loss.
- Postpartum Support International (PSI) offer support to individuals and families who lost a pregnancy or baby too soon.
Follow Baby Loss Awareness Week on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to learn more, and to donate, follow this link.