As part of International Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day on the 15th of October every year, the Baby Loss Awareness Week Alliance invites people all over the world to light a candle at 7pm in memory of every little one who has died too soon, and to support their bereaved families. This is known as the global Wave of Light.
This day provides time to reflect, share memories, and stand beside all those who’re grieving the babies who lit up their lives for such a short time.
To take part you could…
- Share a photo of your candle on social media using #WaveOfLight and #BLAW2021.
- Decorate a window at home using a pink and blue colour scheme.
- Buy a pink and blue BLAW pin badge and wear it with pride.
- Donate to the Baby Loss Awareness Alliance to support bereaved families.
- Follow Baby Loss Awareness Week on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
- Share your story on the Baby Loss Awareness website.
- Reach out to someone that you know who has lost a baby and let them know that you’re thinking of them.
- Tell others about BLAW and spread awareness.
The process of feeling better after loss doesn’t mean forgetting your child. There are many ways to honour the spirit of your baby for many years to come. Other ways of remembering your baby at any time include…
- Collecting items to remind you of your baby, like ultrasound pictures, hand and footprints, a lock of hair, a hospital bracelet, photos, clothes or blankets, and putting them in a special box that you can look back on whenever you like.
- Writing your thoughts and feelings in a journal.
- Planting a tree or a small garden in honour of your baby.
- Donating to or volunteer for a charity in your baby’s name.
Follow Baby Loss Awareness Week on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to learn more.